Personal Evacuation Plan
- Identify ahead of time where you will go. The home of a friend or family member may be an option. If not, be sure to make hotel reservations as soon as possible; occupancies will be scarce along evacuation routes as the storm progresses.
- Be sure all family members know how to get in touch with each other, in the event you are split up.
- Keep all contact numbers handy.
- Make sure your vehicles have a full tank of gas, well before an evacuation order might be issued.
- Have a road map of the local area in case flooding or damage forces you to abandon familiar routes.
- Leave early. Traffic will build quickly once the evacuation order has been given.
- Listen to the radio for evacuation instructions, even after the evacuation has begun.
- Make arrangements for pets. The may not be allowed into emergency shelters or hotels for health and safety reasons. The local humane society will have information on animal shelters.
Blog Home - View a list of all of our articles