What Fun! A Micro-Mobility Gift … Is it Covered?

Did you receive a new e-bike? Did the kids (or dad) receive a new scooter or hoverboard this holiday season? Micro-mobility devices (Tiny Transportation vehicles) need to be insured.

Many people may not have heard of the term micro-mobility.  They usually are small, lightweight vehicles that don’t go very fast, like bikes, e-bikes, skateboards and electric scooters.

For a detailed list of related motorized devices for personal transport click here.

The Federal Highway Administration broadly defines micromobility as any small, low-speed, human- or electric-powered transportation device, including bicycles, scooters, electric-assist bicycles, electric scooters (e-scooters), and other small, lightweight, wheeled conveyances. Other definitions of micromobility focus primarily on powered micromobility devices and characterize these devices as partially or fully motorized, low-speed (typically less than 30 miles [48 kilometers] per hour), and small size (typically less than 500 pounds [230 kilograms] and less than 3 feet [1 meter] wide).

It creates a weakness in an insurance protection plan, if micro-mobility vehicles are not adequately covered, threatening assets and piece of mind. Check with your agent to make sure you have the right coverage? Discuss whether it is needed or should you add your toys to an Umbrella Policy? Don’t assume your Home Owners Insurance or Liability Insurance will cover you, especially when away from the property. By not having the toys adequately insured, you are putting your assets at risk.

Did Your Toys Get Some New Toys?

Did you receive new safety apparel – such as boots, jackets, gloves or leathers? – What about accessories or custom gear to augment your Toys? Additional coverage may be available, check with your agent.

Enjoy your gifts without the worry.  After all, that’s what they were made for.